Sunday 14 May 2017

Prudential RideLondon - a great cause

It is always a pleasure to consider guest blog posts.  Here's a very worthy one, connected to the important work of Refuge, a long standing charity working to support women who are victims of domestic abuse.  This provides an opportunity to enter the Prudential RideLondon for a great cause.  It's by Lucy, who explains....
I work as a GP and a researcher, I often have women come to see me who are experiencing domestic violence or have done in the past. I’ve realized how common it is and how devastating its effects can be. I do the best I can to provide support to the woman at the time but recognize that there is a huge amount of crucial work that is provided by charities such as Refuge in providing ongoing emotional and safety support, emergency accommodation and much more. With difficult government cuts to these services, charitable money in this field feels even more vital now. 
I started cycling as a commuter a few years ago; it was purely a means of getting about. Over time I began to realise the freedom and joy it gave me- it was exercise, it enabled me to travel longer distances, challenge myself and explore the wider area around me.  I had heard that the RideLondon 100 was a great event, but to be honest I was really daunted about the idea of 100 miles and getting it done quick enough that I didn’t get cleared off the road! 
I decided to go for it- having signed up and shared my sponsorship page I had some really kind donations and it absolutely gave me the kick up the bum to just get on and do some training. A few days before the event I had a rush of a few more donations that pushed me well and above my sponsorship target. I felt pretty overwhelmed by how much had been raised and how much good it could do. 
I was really nervous on the morning of the ride- full of excitement in my belly (and porridge) I navigated the buzz of thousands of cyclists to my start point. Everyone was really friendly and excited too. The ride was absolutely fantastic, with closed roads there was no stopping for traffic lights or cars and it just felt like I was flying through London with thousands of other people who were also conquering personal challenges for good causes. It was tough but actually it didn’t really feel like it on the day, it was a really incredible feeling and I honestly loved it.
Like Lucy, you too can help change and saves lives. By riding for Refuge in the Prudential RideLondon Surrey 100, you’ll be taking a stand against domestic violence and cycling for the thousands of women and children we support every day. Sign up to join #TeamRefuge today http://www.refuge.org.uk/prudential-ridelondon-surrey-100/

No comments:

Post a Comment