Friday 10 October 2014

How's the training going?

I can say that I'm feeling nervously excited about the forthcoming Ridgeway Run on Sunday 12th October.  Excited because I'm enjoying running again and also because this is a really nice "little" race to do.  Nervous because I'm not sure I am as fit as I could be.

The race itself is just under 10 miles and I've had a couple of runs around that distance, plus a number of other runs covering 5 or 6 miles.  That's all very well and yet it occurred to me that I have not been doing anything with speed in mind.  In fact all my runs are around the 8:30 - 9:00 minute / mile speed.  Also I'm a few years older from when I last ran this race and reluctantly I am starting to admit to "feeling my age" a little bit.  We'll see.  Come back for my account of the race....

Night time running?

For anyone living in the UK or on our latitude will be aware of the days drawing in quite quickly now and this will, once again be limiting opportunities for running.  It doesn't have to stop running completely as I have run at weekends in previous winters and had a couple of shorter runs around Stevenage after work.  Stevenage, by the way, might well have its share of naff 1960s architecture and social problems, but it is quite a good place for running on all those traffic free paths.  In daylight there's Fairlands Valley Park which is quite pleasant.

I have toyed with the idea of joining a gym for the winter.  I might follow this through.

Alternatively I have got it into my head about giving night time running a proper go - with a head torch.  Yep I do have a reasonable head torch and it seems quite tempting.  However, I don't really fancy the idea of having some kind of mishap in the middle of nowhere and in pitch black.  So, what do I do?  Run in urban areas?  Take a chance?  Join a club?

I do need to make up my mind as I can feel myself getting drawn back int running more than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment