Saturday 22 December 2012

Christmas holiday run # 2

Just gone 7.00am.  Still dark, raining, windy.  Must be time for my run #2.

I had in mind a shorter run as we have quite a lot to do today (all those Christmas things :o) to be doing).  The girls have had a pep talk about not totally letting go of our family routines so we are having breakfast at 8.30am - all together.  This means I have time to have a short run, have a shower, empty the dishwasher, get breakfast ready and quickly type this post.

My #2 run.

Short, about 10-15 minutes.  Didn't care about the weather - rainy and windy but very mild.  I could feel my legs were a little achy which took me by surprise.  

Perhaps I was not giving myself enough rest between runs?  Afterall I thought, it was just 14 hours ago that I did yesterday's 6.5 miles so an easy short run is fine today.  It means I can have a longer (yay!) run tomorrow morning.

It's also a reminder for me about why rest is important.  Not just for my 50 year old legs but mentally as well.  As far as our running legs are concerned, we give them a fair pounding when we run.  I once remember doing my 6.5 mile run with a pedometer and I think there were over 10,000 steps in that hour.  Remember when we run our feet are absorbing our body weight landing (perhaps on the heel or the ball of the foot, depending on your running style or gait) a huge number of times.  This happens again and again and again and we should not under estimate the toll this takes.  Having good quality sleep and food is vital; also at times like this when I'm increasing my running the option of taking a supplement (cod liver oil) is a sensible thing to do.  

Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment