Monday 31 December 2012

A quick review of 2012

This has been a great year for us as a family and also for me in trying to stay healthy.  Not much time left now before 2013 arrives and beforehand we are visiting some good friends.  So, without further ado, here's a few reflections on the year:


  • We have been blessed more than we can ever deserve. 
  • I reached 50.  Had 50 great years and the best is still to come (being a "half full" kind of person)
  • Only one running race this year - the Milton Keynes Marathon.  My first ever marathon and achieved 4 hours 12 minutes.  Having another go in 2013 and would be nice to come in at under 4 hours.
  • In the summer we had the Birthday Bike Project as our 14 year old daughter got a vintage Argos fast touring bike for her birthday
  • Also in the summer we were gripped by the Olympic and Paralympic Games.  Should be inspiring the nation as well as a generation.  The Tour de France was won at last by a British Team and Sir Wiggo in particular.
  • The above Games led to our own Holiday Olympics, mostly in our back garden - hilarious!
  • We did a Coast to Coast bike ride with our friends the McRoys and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Would be nice to repeat it with a more challenging route next time.  Cycling with Becky and Hannah is a wonderful thing to do.
  • I moved to another office which is further away and makes cycling a little tricky at 22 miles each way but I've enjoyed doing it a few times so far
  • Stress levels remain and go up and down.   It is difficult for the Public Sector as a whole and I'm really feeling the pressure myself
  • Some of my colleagues have started to run!
  • In October we went to Spain and it's the first time I have been running abroad; thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • I have the same number of teeth, a little less hair and a few more wrinkles but just as fit (I reckon)
  • In September I started another blog http://thecyclehub.net/ to separate out cycling from running.  I still struggle with the technical aspects of blogging.  I never have really got on top of the Affiliate link source of income although the Amazon one does work (so please let me give that a plug!  Anything you buy through the Amazon link helps us keep the "wolves from the door"!!!!)
  • This blog is growing in popularity.  I have been surprised at what posts have turned out to be popular but right now it's posts about DW Sports and giving up smoking (and I'm thinking of writing an e-book!).
May I take this opportunity to send everyone my best wishes for the new year and to thank you for your support so far and into 2013.

Doug.




No comments:

Post a Comment