Saturday 17 March 2012

Hold on Baby - and go for a run

Must tell you about a run I had a few days ago.  Not a very promising start as it was on the zzzzzz treadmill at the gym.  I took my iPod shuffle and somehow it all came together - good running form, nice pace and some nice music.  Unexpectedly this was in the best form - namely Tom Waits singing "Hold on".  Just seemed a brilliant self-assured piece of music to have a good solid run to.  It's quite a long track and it came at just the right point in the run.  I only had an hour, so this is how I roughly used it:

  • 0-5 mins 6mph
  • 5 - 20 mins 7mph
  • 20 - 40 mins 7.5 mph
  • 40 - 60 mins alternating every 2 mins between slow (6mph) and fast (9mph)

The last minute was at 10mph, just enough to give every bit of my 50 year old body a thoroughly good work-out and then a couple of minutes jogging and walking to cool down.  Bike ride home after a red hot shower.

There are times when it just all comes together - music, running form and of course that Runner's High.  All those worries, stresses and niggles just melt away.  That's special.

Just as a reminder, here's what a Runner's High makes me feel:

  • Euphoric
  • Confident
  • On top of the World
  • I can handle anything
  • Reassured
  • Calm
  • I don't care if anyone laughs about me
  • I can do this
  • Unbeatable


Thank God for a brilliant run which I needed so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment