Tuesday 31 January 2012

Latest long run

I had been really looking forward to my long run on Sunday morning, before breakfast as always.  The MK Marathon training schedule suggested a 105 minute run at a relaxed 10 minute per mile pace.  In my mind I had mapped out a route several days before and as a sign of being positive about it, I got my running gear out the night before.

I left the house at 7.10am - still dark, cold and foggy.  I was running in tracksters, a base layer and my Montane featherlite marathon jacket, woolly hat and gloves.  Just as well because it was flippin' cold.

I miscalculated the distance and ended up running for well over 2 hours; easily a half marathon plus a bit. It was brilliant but a tad hard going in the last couple of miles.  I find that when I'm getting tired, my steps are shorter and that leads to blisters.  Mercifully I have escaped blisters but the early signs were there.

As I ran much further than I am accustomed to rightnow, it has taken a couple of days to rest and recover.

That 2 hours represented good training, helping to accustom my legs to running longer distances.  Naturally the 2 hours were a brilliant time and space for me to be alone with my thoughts and mull things over, daydream, rehearse some up and coming conversations and so on.  It set me up for the rest of the day.  Having run a few half marathons the pace seemed a little slower but nevertheless good to be building the distances up once again.

Looking forward to interval training tomorrow and before the longer run at the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment