Wednesday 28 December 2011

Christmas break challenge - update

In my previous post I said I was going to run every day during the Christmas holiday.  Here's the briefest of updates:

Running
Yes I have now run everyday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Even on Christmas Day itself I went out for about 5 miles, at daybreak, just before breakfast.  We were staying at my Mother-in-Law's place at a nearby village and I remember doing exactly the same last year except that was in the snow and ice.  This Christmas, by complete contrast, is very mild.  Each run is before breakfast and I set off just before sunrise while the whole world seems to be fast asleep.  I've not seen another runner since Christmas Eve, now that's depressing.  C'mon everyone!

I have truly felt the benefit of running everyday and alternating between short runs (about 3 miles) to longer runs (6.5 miles and upward).  Today I ran my favourite Hilly Route, in reverse and added a little extra diversion making a total of 8.5 miles.  I felt great afterwards!  However I have maybe over done it - a leg muscle in post run bit of stretching.

Each day when I've headed out I have felt stiff and have found the first 1 or 2 miles hard going, almost to the point of turning back (something I never so).  It's always worth it to carry on for my planned distance.

Cycling
Apart from a couple of trips to Sainsbury's, I haven't cycled since 23rd December which although I may miss it, I've just not had the chance.  Still, Rachel has treated me to the book 'Cycling home from Siberia' by Rob Lilwall.  The strapline is 30,000 miles, 3 years, 1 bicycle - an extraordinary journey through Papua New Guinea, Tibet and Afghanistan.  I'm going to enjoy settling into that in the new year.

Food
Wow I can tell you my calorie intake has been raised somewhat over the last week, what with invites from other families for food and conversation.  Everyone's being so good in accommodating me as a relatively new vegetarian  (thanks Everyone - you know who you are!).

No comments:

Post a Comment