Saturday 15 October 2011

Why it is easy

Early this morning I had a short run, just a few miles while it was getting light.  Also the first frost of the autumn and another glimpse of those lovely early morning mists lingering down in the valleys.  All is well.

It was also the maiden voyage for my new running shoes - Brooks Vapour 9 - pretty good and more about these another time.  I found myself thinking of the cost of all this sportiness, keeping fit and healthy living.  On one hand I could feel a tinge of guilt (public sector pay freeze, rising prices etc.. mean we are well over £3k worse off a year) and then I thought some more.  Throughout our married life, over 15 years now, we have each had a critical illness policy.  These don't come cheap but I have always justified it as my monthly invoice for staying free from critical illnesses.

Some readers will know I quit my gym membership earlier this year and again I had no problem in justifying the cost of the membership while I had it.  Buying an occasional pair of running shoes, entering the odd race, buying this or that all adds up.  So how do I justify it?  It is simple.  Without investing the time, effort and a little money in keeping fit means I stay in good health physically AND mentally.

Many times I have come close to quitting my job because of the stress and anxiety it causes and one would have to ask what benefit of quitting would it bring for my family?  Probably real hardship before too long.  It would lead me to feel even more anxious if I were not providing for my family and the guilt would be profound together with the long term consequences.  The good Lord has given me a job and a brain to do it, plus a means of handling the stress.

How about you?

8 comments:

  1. You have summed it up quite well, Doug.
    The exersise keeps you strong and if the bodys strong the mind benefits too. You dont have to justify this because you provide a comfortable and secure home for your family so its money well spent.
    I was a fool to leave my job. Like you I worked for the state. I was getting stressed and was insecure about my ability to do my job and my behaviour in the workplace and my attitude was getting worse. In the end I suddenly left,angry and resentful.
    I had behaved like a stroppy child and what did it all lead to? A near brush with bancruptcy and all that it entails. Was it worth it? I dont think so.
    Doug, you are a Thoughtful, sensitive and decent man and the justice department needs you. you are in a good place now,fit and strong so bring it on. 'H'

    ReplyDelete
  2. My release from work stress? Easy, turning up and loving the job all over. Being a nurse (in training) can be stressful, but is so much fun, and so rewarding, that the stress has gone by my next shift. Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear H,
    That is quite a story, thank you for sharing it here. Hopefully it's now brighter for you?
    I always try to hold on to the belief that good things can arise from difficult situations - but not always what we would ever expect or at a time that we would want. I have needed to learn some patience myself which doesn't always come very naturally.
    With best wishes,
    Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear FishandSteak
    Many thanks. Loving the job makes all the difference and must make a difference to those around you too.
    With best wishes,
    Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's brilliant as we spend loads on keeping fit - clothes, gym membership and so on. My hubby spends more on his bike than his car I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs Anonymous
    Spending more on a bike than a car - that's cool! I don't think any of us will regret spending money on keeping fit, although sometimes we can do it a bit cheaper.
    Does this mean you'll be buying yourself a new bike?
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its my first visit to your blog and I am very happy that this blog is a great soure to keep ourselves fit and healthy. I have bokmarked it so that I can visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. English Horror Movies, many thanks and glad to have you on board.

    Regards,

    Doug.

    ReplyDelete