Tuesday 20 September 2011

Long run, short run

Enjoying the mist at sunrise - it dissolves away as quickly as it gets lighter
Sunday morning was special for me.  I went out for a run while it was still dark, with the intention of going a little further than usual - maybe around 10 miles.  I was also feeling a little adventurous and so I headed for the start of a bridle path I had spotted before but didn't know where it went.

Normally I have a reasonable senses of direction and wasn't too bothered about not knowing where it went, even though it was taking me further away from home.  It was a little confusing in a woodland area with lots of twists and turns causing me to gradually lose a sense of which direction I was going.  When I emerged on the other side I was faced with some fields and a hill I didn't recognise at all!  I knew sooner or later I'd pick up the sight of something to give me a clue as to where I was and sure enough, that happened a few minutes later.  It meant that I was out running for a little over two hours so I guess I must have run for 13+ miles.  A fantastic run with all the right ingredients: changing light, woodland trails, fields (with rough ground to strengthen my ankle ligaments / muscles), grassland, fast roads, a golf course to sneak across and some hills

These miles weren't especially fast miles, more of a steady long distance plod.  When I got back - and for the rest of the day - my legs felt tired and achy in a satisfying way.

Yesterday I did no running or cycling as I needed the all important rest.  This morning I went for a short run, about 20 minutes so probably three miles including a good climb to get my heart pumping nicely in a noticeable way.

That combination of long and short runs suits me, as does slow runs and shorter fast runs.  It certainly features in many of the training schedules you can get from various sources and yep, there's a solid reason behind these.  I am always happy to follow the lead of someone who is an expert and knows better and I'd really commend this approach to others.  Running to include a hill (or two) is of real benefit I find but probably not if you're starting out.

All this leads me to think I could have Luton Marathon within my grasp.  My biggest obstacle is running during the week with the daylight shortening so quickly.  Returning to the gym and treadmill running is an option but I'd prefer not to. Running through the streets is also an option, under the street lights.

So to do the Luton Marathon.... Luton in my view is a dump and running 3 laps doesn't really inspire me, especially in late November or early December.  But, but it is a valid challenge.  There is the race atmosphere to draw me along and I would have something to look back on when I'm eventually a 95 year old bloke in a nursing home rocking chair- now that would be cool doing that, just before I hit 50.  After I'm 50, well why stop there?

2 comments:

  1. t meant that I was out running for a little over two hours so I guess I must have run for 13+ miles. A fantastic run with all the right ingredients: changing light, woodland trails, fields (with rough ground to strengthen my ankle ligaments / muscles), grassland, fast roads, a golf course to sneak across and some hills

    THIS IS AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's AWESOME! I feel so ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete