Sunday 21 August 2011

Early morning inspirational cycle ride

Near Dufton, Cumbria
Last week we were in Cumbria for a weeks holiday along with some friends, Paul & Steph and their kids.  Needless to say I took my bike and running shoes for some early morning inspiration.  We stayed just outside Appleby - as in Appleby-in-Westmorland - and the annual Appleby Horse Fair.

On Friday morning I peered out of the window at dawn and saw a misty field which looked inviting.  For a while I couldn't make up my mind whether to run or cycle.  Mentally I tossed a coin and cycling won.  Although I was out for just an hour, I only covered 10 miles.  It seemed every few yards there was something to stop and marvel at.  Some of those things are photographed here (hope you like them) others are memories in my mind.

It's hard, really hard, to sum it up.  It was beautiful, inspirational and magical.  I saw nobody, not one single car, just me, my bike and the road.

Appleby to Dufton Road, Cumbria

Appleby in the mist

Edge of Pennines, near Hilton, Cumbria

Caption competition?  Leave a comment below!

1 comment: