Monday 15 August 2011

40's - the best decade (so far)

I remember people telling me "it's all down hill now you're 40 but happy birthday anyway".  I also remember in my mid 40's when my optician said it was time to have reading glasses because I was middle aged.

I didn't mind having to wear glasses but it was the middle aged bit that bothered me the most.  Surely middle aged people are old, boring, past it?  I couldn't possibly be like that!

If you've read the About page, you'll know why I started to take more care of myself.  It is because of that this decade has been fantastic for me.  I have aged of course, but I'm in better shape than I was almost 10 years ago.  I was reflecting on this as I found myself glancing through a Reader's Digest book we have.  It says (paraphrased)....

30s - by the end of the decade the first grey hairs will be appearing.  Bone breaks down faster than it builds up.  My response?  Grey hairs?  Couldn't care less.  Besides, they're not grey, they are blonde.  Comment about metabolism slowing and weight being gained.  Yes that happened to me and I didn't even realise it was happening.  I just bought new clothes as I fancied them, not giving the increasing size a thought.

40's - my eye sight has deteriorated significantly.  Partly through becoming naturally more long sighted and needing glasses for close - up work.  Retina problems have occurred through stress and it's all associated with this alleged Type A personality stuff.  I look much older but I just don't care.  I can put on weight far too easily as I believe my metabolism has continued to slow along with so many colleagues and friends of my age.

And yet as my 40s draw to a conclusion, I have never felt fitter, more healthy or as positive as this for ages.  Probably since I was in my 20s.  Whether I'm any wiser, well, that's another issue and not for here if you don't mind.  I'm calmer but more determined.  Harder on myself than ever before.

So yes, my 40s have been a fantastic decade.  I'm in better shape - physically, mentally and spiritually - than when I went in.  Can't wait until I'm 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment