Monday 20 June 2011

Recovery 5

Strange as it seems, I was really looking forward to the Doctor's appointment today.

I explained the hand problem.  He had a prod.  I said it's worse in the cold and much better after a dose of Ibuprofen.  He pulled my little finger about and said "Mmmmmm".

"You've got Digital something Neuralgia".

"What's that?" I asked

"Damage to the nerve itself, jolly painful.  It'll take maybe a year to heal"

"Treatment?"

"Yes, Ibuprofen for a month and you can wear some gloves when you're cycling".

"So I can cycle then?"

"Yes providing it doesn't hurt you too much"

I changed the subject.

"Doctor, I've run some Half Marathons and I'm thinking about a full Marathon, is that okay with you?"

"Yes of course it is but thank you for asking.  Just train up gradually"

I was still well inside my allotted 10 minutes and I considered whether it was viable to engage in a sport-health conversation.  I looked at him to weigh up if he could be a runner.  Fairly unlikely, though he might have been years ago.  I decided not to, time to go.

So that's brilliant news.  Cycling and Ibuprofen is okay for the next 6 months.  So I'm going to start cycling again now.  Just as well really, my friend Wallie and I are having another all night ride in a few days time.  You might like to take a look at last year's ride click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment