Saturday 26 February 2011

Dried Figs - Sainsbury's Taste the Difference





You might remember I commented on Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Dried Apricots a while back.  I have been really surprised at the high number of page hits, so I thought I'd have a go with these dried figs.



Some quick factoids:

- They cost £1.69 for a 250g pack.

- They are produced in Turkey

- Using the "traffic light" system, 4 out of 5 is green, the other is amber.  Therefore a 40g serving is healthy

- No preservatives or additives; they're preserved using a steam process

How do they taste?

Two words: pretty good.  Probably what I notice the most are the tiny seeds which are quite hard and seem to be distributed throughout each fig.  They're crunchy and add an interesting, if unusual, texture.  I always tend to think of figs as being a bit on the dry side and happily these aren't at all.  They're moist and very gooey to look at - perhaps not the most attractive of fruit - and are pleasantly different.

Are Sainsbury's Taste the Difference dried figs good for you?

I believe so.  Figs in general certainly are and there's no reason why these shouldn't be.  After all they are free from any nasty additives and the drying and partial re-hydrating process seems to bring them to a nice condition.  A quick look around the web indicates they're a rich source of Vitamin A, B1, B2, calcium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, potassium, phenol and Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.  Amazing; all in one fruit!

Various sites talk about different benefits, right from improving sexual performance (ahemmm), rest and sleep, through to the more obvious benefits of digestion, the role of antioxidants and they're reputed to have a role in respiratory problems.

So yes I do buy these from time to time.  Sometimes as a little treat for myself (nobody else in the house is at all tempted) and sometimes because I know these are simply good for me and add to the variety of foods that I eat.

The retailers

The more I think about these figs, the more I think I'll track down some others from the likes of Holland and Barratt (not seen any in there so far but the website says £4.99 for 500g), Tesco (who do sell them) and maybe Waitrose.  I must again place a Goodness Food Direct order; they sell dried figs for £2.23 for 150g.

I do wish that the likes of Sainbury's, Tesco and the other major supermarkets would take some of their responsibility further.  What responsibility is that, you may ask.  Well, if each aims to have a large market share they will, by default, have an impact on the diets of their regular customers.  At the checkout I often watch the person in front of me unload their trolley.  You can tell by glancing at the customer what their shopping is likely to be.  So often obese people will be loading on prepared ready meals, white breads, beers and lagers and so on.  Others who are well presented and appear more prosperous will often be buying the more upmarket, better quality foods. It wouldn't hurt the Sainsbury's or Tescos of the world to promote healthy eating in more proactive ways.  Sure, they do some but much more could be done.

Please take a look at my previous blog on apricots - just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment